Friday, November 4, 2016

VATUSA FNO (Friday Night Operations) Denver Style

Denver ARTCC hosted Friday Night Operations tonight at KDEN Airport and the event was dubbed "Ski and Snowboard Season - KDEN." This was an invite for virtual pilots to load up their passengers, skis, and snowboards for arrival into Denver, Colorado.  Fortunately, KDEN has been modeled with extreme detail by the talented Flightbeam Studios so flying into or out of KDEN is always an enjoyable experience.  Couple that with plenty of traffic and fully staffed positions, this FNO would be prove to be one to remember.  

FNO or other large events on VATSIM can be hit and miss and my experience has been as long as the positions are properly staffed, the experience can be an enjoyable one.  Granted, pilot skill level also plays a factor with large events and from what I heard tonight, everyone was doing well on both sides of the mic.  Fortunately, KDEN is a large airport with multiple landing/departing runways which allows for minimal delays.  The controllers from Delivery up to Center were top notch and traffic was handled efficiently as aircraft, big and small, maneuvered through the busy airspace.  If you've ever been to the actual KDEN before, it is quite the sight when standing in the terminal area, seeing the string of aircraft lined up for approach.  The landing lights are seen from miles away, evenly spaced as aircraft after aircraft fly the final approach for landing.  

For tonight's event, I chose to depart KDEN while flying for FedEx Virtual Air Cargo using the wonderful PMDG MD-11F.  I know PMDG has their reasons for discontinuing sales of the aircraft but some of you are missing out if you don't have it.  Not only does the aircraft fly and handle well, it doesn't consume large amounts of computer resources while already at a busy event using a complex airport with various aircraft models.  I was parked at the main cargo hub on the south end of the airfield and the always prompt and hardworking ground crew loaded the virtual goods for delivery to Seattle, Washington.  Once the aircraft was powered up, I switched to delivery and received my clearance.  The delivery controller was very helpful with allowing me to request a more suitable runway for my location and I was cleared to KSEA via the YAMMI 3 RNAV departure route to the north.  I also use FS2Crew with the MD-11F and this ensures the aircraft is properly configured and set for the flight.  My virtual co-pilot set up the necessary items while I programmed the FMC for the trip.  




 


The ground services were provided by FSDreamteam's GSX and the blue and white cargo jet was pushed back while the three engines came to life.  The final checklists were completed and I switched to Denver Ground (east) and requested taxi to RWY 8.  The ground controller asked if I could switch to RWY 17L for departure and after some slight re-configuring, I was on my way to 17L via taxiway "Mike" and "Echo Delta, or ED."  The taxi took a few minutes but I took the time to enjoy the environment at KDEN tonight.  Aircraft were taxiing, landing, taking-off and the radio frequency was buzzing with instructions for departing and arriving aircraft.  Seeing the landing/navigation lights in the distance was just another example of virtual pilots/controllers bringing this hobby to life.  

I slowly made my way to 17L and eventually joined the short conga line as the approach and tower controllers kept this orchestrated event on track.  I experienced a slight delay but company traffic was arriving on both 17L and 17R during the wait so I took the opportunity to enjoy the view and grab some screenshots while waiting.  A quick glance to the north showed a dark sky void of any landing lights so it looked like my chance was coming up to depart the airfield.  I was given permission to take-off and final checks were made as the power of the MD-11 came to life, roaring down the runway.  The aircraft gently lifted off the earth as I reached my rotation speed and I was finally off to Seattle. 










I stepped my way through the various departure/center controllers while climbing to FL230, the top altitude for the YAMMI 3 departure.  I was given clearance to my top altitude of FL340 as the organized chaos was quickly left behind in the dark skies of Colorado.  The climb to my final altitude was smooth and without incident and it was time to settle in for the 2:45 flight to Seattle. 



  
I made my way through Salt Lake Center and as I neared Washington, Seattle Center came on line.  My descent forecast was entered into my FMC and the CHINS 2 RNAV arrival was programmed with a planned ILS approach to RWY 16C.  The weather at KSEA was taking a turn for the worse as a weather system moved through the area and light rain was falling.  The cloud levels were still fairly high and with only a few scheduled arrivals, I wasn't expecting the arrival to be too difficult.  I reached my TOD or top of descent (or even better, top of drop) and I began my descent for my first crossing restriction at RADDY with a speed of 270 knots and an altitude of 16,000 feet or higher.  I passed the RADDY intersection and as I neared the airfield, a break in clouds provided a nice view of the surrounding terrain and ground based lighting.  Orbx did a great job with implementing new ground based night lighting with their North America openLC and it really adds to the environment.  I continued to receive vectors and lower altitudes as I flew the arrival and "The Lady" did a great job during the approach.  A quick turn back to the south lined me up to capture the 16C localizer and I was able to enjoy the approach over downtown Seattle.  The autopilot was disconnected after the landing checklist was completed and I was able to complete a respectable landing on 16C.  I made a slightly high approach which caused me to use the majority of the runway but a quick exit at "P" had me holding short of 16L.  The ground controller provided taxi instructions to the ramp via "Bravo" and I called up GSX for ground services at the FedEx ramp.  A few other virtual pilots were preparing flights at KSEA and since I was parking on the north side of the field, I had some time to enjoy the great KSEA scenery provided by Taxi2Gate.  Once again, flying the MD-11 into a complex airport with real weather proved to be an enjoyable experience with great performance with plenty of VAS left over during the taxi and parking phase of the flight.  I turned into the cargo ramp and like always, my virtual handlers were there to greet me, eager to offload the cargo.  

















A personal thanks to the various controllers who helped make FNO at KDEN a great event.  Everyone did a great job from my perspective and I look forward to future flights.  The crew at Seattle ARTCC also did a great job getting me into KSEA.  Until next time......................

Software Used:

FSX with Direct X 10 enabled (Steve's fixer)
Hi-Fi Active Sky 2016 with Active Sky Cloud Art
REX Sky Colors
PMDG MD-11F
Flightbeam Studios KDEN
Taxi2Gate KSEA
FSDreamteam GSX (ground services)
VATSIM Network with vPilot client
Orbx Global, North America openLC, and Vector
Navigraph Desktop Charts and AIRAC
SkyVector (charts)
EFASS Flight Bag
SimBrief (flight planning and virtual dispatch)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment