Saturday, April 30, 2016

EGLL (London, Heathrow) to KSFO (San Francisco): Five Nutters Cross the Pond Westbound



Long haul Saturdays are back in style for The Nutters and five of use completed a 10+ hour trip from London, Heathrow to San Francisco, California.  Facebook group chat started to liven up Friday afternoon and a long haul across the pond was organized.  I wasn’t able to participate in the normal “Cross the Pond Westbound” a few weeks earlier but this one would prove to be a great flight with good company.  A time of 11 AM BST (1000 Zulu) was organized and each of us spawned out our respective gates.  It didn’t take much time for people to start asking, what time is it where you are?  Yes, the same question every time I join one of these flights.  And for some reason, some of these so called professionals can’t seem to subtract 8 hours J  Since they were coming my way to the US and I had the day off from work, I thought, why not?  It was a 3 AM wake-up which is only a couple of hours earlier than my normal “wake-up” for work.  The coffee was brewed, a quick snack was prepared, and I was logging into SimBrief to plan my flight.  

A detailed flight plan had already been generated and today’s flight would take us north from the UK where we would enter NAT A or North Atlantic Track “Alpha.”  Our virtual passengers and cargo were boarded and Heathrow ground logged into VATSIM to organize the departures.  A quick push from Gate 244 placed us on Taxiway Lima with a short taxi to RWY 27R via “Alpha,” holding short of “Pluto.”  As I taxied, the other Nutters had already departed and I encountered a Speed Bird 747 taxiing on “Alpha.”  I was given instructions to give way to the 747 and I was slightly delayed.  If you’ve flown out of or into Heathrow, you know it can be quite busy at times.  Fortunately, things weren’t too bad for our departure and after about 10 minutes, I was rolling down RWY 27R and climbing out via the WOBUN 3F departure route.  Unfortunately, that was the end of ATC on VATSIM since Heathrow Tower, Heathrow Director, and London Control were not on-line.  I quickly made my way to FL340 and a quick check of the flight bag and VATSPY showed the five Nutters making our way through the virtual airspace.  

















 
As we approached Iceland, Reykjavik Control contacted us and provided our oceanic clearance.  It was pain free and matched what was already entered into the FMC so a flight level of FL360 and a cruise speed of Mach .85 was entered into the cruise page.  Since this was going to be a long flight and other “family duties” were unavoidable, I had to disconnect from the network for short time for a needed crew rest and kitchen duties.  Of course, real life goes on as I traveled through the virtual world but I was able to return to the flight deck and enjoy the view across Northern Canada.  
 














The chat began to liven up as our respective TOD’s or top of descents began to appear on our progress pages.  We missed Salt Lake Center by a few minutes and KSFO was beginning to liven up.  The route into KSFO often has real world flights flying over the region where I live and using flightradar24.com has been a great asset to tracking real world flights.  I routinely see Lufthansa A380’s, A340’s, and British Airways A380’s leaving/entering the flight space above Northern California.  In fact, my lovely bride and children often have to listen to my excitement when a real world “heavy” flies over our house.  After spotting the contrail, my phone comes out and a quick check identifies the jet making those trails.  In fact, I am starting to receive texts with photos from my son and wife asking about contrails and what type of aircraft is making it. I see they have embraced my love for aviation.  Which, is a good thing.  

Marsh was enjoying being a self-proclaimed “walking atlas” as we flew over Northern California and we passed directly over my little city.  Of course, it was cloudy as we flew over at FL380 so I wasn’t able to grab a good screenshot of the town below.  Marsh continued to call out the different highways, land marks, cities, etc. and now, they were approaching the west coast and preparing to descend into San Francisco. 
It would have been nice to have Oakland Center along with NorCal approach but we would only have tower and ground controllers for our arrival.  Flying an approach into a busy airport can be somewhat difficult at times since communication is handled through text announcements on UNICOM.  Most virtual pilots are respectful and work together so that “self-vectoring” doesn’t cause too many issues for landing.  For our descent into KSFO, we would be flying the BDEGA 2 arrival for an approach onto either 28L or 28R.  The approach would bring us from the north where we would enjoy a nice view of the San Francisco Bay, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the City of San Francisco.  The weather was clear with some small bumps during the descent due to active Airmets along the west coast of California. The inbound and outbound traffic was pretty light so my approach was uneventful.  The cross winds were very strong during the approach as I cleared the San Mateo Bridge while establishing for 28L.  I went manual and contacted KSFO tower and was given clearance to land onto 28L.  After some adjustments during the approach, I made a nice landing onto 28L and vacated the runway.  I contacted the ground controller and taxied to Gate G96 where Josh was patiently waiting for us parked at Gate G98.  After securing at the gate and unloading the passengers and cargo, Danish taxied into his respective gate and a great flight came to an end.  Fortunately, I was able to land without a system crash or other issues and it brought things to a close.  Thanks for following along and as always, enjoy the screenshots and I hope to see you in the virtual skies again soon.  















No comments:

Post a Comment