Thursday, July 30, 2015

KLAX to KSEA

Wow, where does the time go?  I haven't posted a blog update for quite some time but that doesn't mean I haven't been flying.  I've made quite a few flights the past month but unfortunately, I didn't take the time to tap the "V" key enough.  I was chatting with Boeing buddy tonight and he just returned from an overseas trip and as luck would have it, I was preparing to fly from KLAX to KSEA in Delta colors.  He asked for some "screens" and it motivated me to take plenty of screenshots for a blog post.  Now, I tried explaining to him that operating a sophisticated aircraft such as the 757-200 doesn't allow much time for screenshots but he wasn't buying it :-)  Or as the Nutters would say, "it isn't real!" 

SoCal Approach/Departure was on-line tonight at KLAX so I was able to have some ATC interaction during the flight up north.  I received clearance for the CASTA4 departure from 25R and the virtual passengers and bags were loaded onto the airplane.  I began my taxi to 25R and as I taxied along the "bravo" taxiway, a company 777 began to roll down the runway.  KLAX wasn't too busy tonight but it was nice having some other human pilots in the area.  Departure asked if I could handle an intersection take-off and since we were light tonight, I turned onto "foxtrot" and entered 25R for a rolling take-off.  The 757-200 is a powerful aircraft so "V-1" and "rotate" came quickly as the rocket ship began the climb to 13,000.  A quick turn to the north to clear the airspace for departing traffic had me climbing through the clouds for a beautiful, early evening departure. 

We cleared SoCal departure's air space and continued the climb to FL380.  The climb and cruise was smooth and uneventful as I surfed above the high altitude clouds.  Oakland Center was on-line for a short duration so unfortunately, the majority of the flight was completed on the unicom frequency with no ATC interaction.  Prior to the TOD, I checked the weather at KSEA and the winds were favoring a 34 arrival.  I set up the FMC for the HAWKZ4 arrival with the Battleground transition to "sounder" for the approach to 34C.  I enjoyed the views of the beautiful Pacific Northwest as I lined up for 34C and made an "okay" visual approach.  I came in a little low on the approach but was able to correct prior to touchdown for a smooth landing.  Seattle ground was on-line but the interaction was short and sweet with taxi instructions given to the gate. 

Another flight is in the books.....enjoy the screenshots!
























 


No comments:

Post a Comment